Mr. T

Today's topic for the #BTBC14 is "How did you end up in education?  Who or what inspired you to teach?" 
While I've already shared my aha moment in this post, there are several teachers who influenced me along the way.  I always loved school.  My experiences throughout school were always positive.  I have been blessed with some of the best teachers.  Teachers who reached into your heart and pulled out the best of you.  

One of those teachers is my high school drama/public speaking teacher, Mr. Thompson (or Mr. T as we lovingly referred to him as).  He was one of those teachers that you just loved.  You couldn't wait to get to his class and see what fun thing you were doing that day.  Every day was engaging and exciting.  He taught us about being true to who you were and finding your voice.  I became a more confident writer and speaker because of him.  

One of the moments I remember most from high school is the attack on 9/11.  When it happened, I was in class with Mr. T.  I remember that we actually thought he was joking about everything (per usual), but then reality set in.  I remember crying and being so scared, but somehow his simple presence, reassuring us, helped.  

I recently found a letter he wrote me before I graduated.  He encouraged me to write and keep writing.  It was because of him I took creative writing and poetry courses in college - they were some of my most favorite courses.  I still write today, whether it's blogging, a short poem, or a story for my students, and I think of Mr. T and his encouragement each time.  When I reflect on the type of teacher I want to be, I think him and how he made us feel.  Confident, proud, successful.  I want my students to leave my classroom confident in their abilities, proud of how far they have come, and knowing they can and will be successful.

Thank you Mr. T.

XOXO,

Racheal


9 comments

  1. How wonderful to have had such a positive influence in your life!

    My Kinder-Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many memories of great teachers. You are lucky to have something written to you to hold onto and inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. T sounds wonderful. Yes, I want to be like that! Kids may not remember what I taught, but they will always remember how I made them feel. My hope is that it is a good feeling. Thanks for an inspiring story.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I hope that my students will remember my class with fondness and a feeling of importance. I hope I will care for each and every one of them in a way that leaves them sure of my feelings for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, Racheal! I wonder if Mr. T knew how he impacted your life? That must be the greatest satisfaction for a teacher, when a student becomes a teacher :)

    Ventaneando: A Window Into First Grade Bilingüe

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky you are to have had such a wonderful experience! ;)

    http://literacylovinggals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adriana, I actually sent him a link to this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always hear about people who were inspired by another teacher. I think that is why I love teaching kindergarten so much, because we can teach them to LOVE school.

    Camp Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete