Five for Friday - Happy Halloween!





Happy Fri-yay!  This week has been the looooongest so far this year!  Full moon?  Check.  All day meeting away from school and have to plan for a sub?  Check.  IEP meeting over my entire lunch period?  Check.  Observation by my principal?  Check.  Halloween party?  Check.  Whew!  It's been a long week but we survived and we're still smiling!  Today was probably the busiest day of all so I thought I would share just what my day loads of crazy fun.  




We started our day wrapping up our shared reading unit.  This week we are learning the words 'she', 'he', and 'be'.  We read our little book copies of "Halloween Fun" and worked to locate our sight words in the story.  We circled 'he', highlighted 'she' and underlined 'be'.  We then listened to some fun Halloween music while we practiced our kindergarten coloring.  Thriller anyone?!







Next up, it was time to carve our class pumpkin!  We had received this pumpkin a few weeks ago when our class took a field trip to the local apple orchard.  The kiddos have been chomping at the bit to carve it and I happily obliged today!  It amazes me every year how many children have never carved a pumpkin and felt the inside of one.  I tell my kiddos it's a kindergarten requirement to have a childhood and carve a pumpkin. They loved it!










Can we all just take a moment to praise God for the person who invented candy corn?  Seriously.  My favorite fall treat ever.  My mom used to send me care packages in college with bags and bags of candy corn and pumpkins.  Yummy!  For a fun treat, we spent a little time patterning and eating today!  We talked about ABAB and AABB patterns.  It was tasty work!










I totally forgot to get any pictures during our class party (#TEACHERFAIL).  But I did get a picture of this UH-MAZING witch our art just 'whipped up' for my Pin the Wart on the Witch game.  How beautifully talented is she?!  We are so blessed to have her!!!






Our day was full of fun, but my favorite part of the day, by far, involved this little guy.  Meet Wilbur.  He is a pig that is displayed at the local hardware store for people to come by and pet and check out.  He is seriously, the sweetest little pig.  EVER.  (And he has the BEST name!) 


Our building recently held a few fundraisers for United Way - one being a "Kiss the Pig" contest.  Each teacher had a milk jug pig labeled with their name in our front lobby.  Students could bring in change and put it in the pig of the teacher they wanted to see kiss a pig.  The top 5 teachers would then have to pucker up! 

Well guess who won first place...



We didn't find out who the top five teachers were until the assembly but I had a good feeling I was going to be called (we did a count half way through and I was in the lead - didn't help that my daughter was campaigning for her class to put money in my pig too!).  I thought it might be a good idea to get acquainted with my new beau so Wilbur and I spend some time together in the hall.  Cutest little pig ever!!!



At first I was a little nervous getting close (I mean it is a pig.  In front of close to 500 students.  Screaming.  You never know what could happen...)  But Wilbur was so well behaved!  He even put up with my bright red lipstick!!!



Click on the pig below to check out the video of our 'special moment'!




♥  I think sweet Wilbur kind of liked being loved on.  ♥

And we raised over $800 on the Kiss the Pig contest alone!  

#compassionthroughaction #teamorchard #unitedway


I hope you all have a very happy and safe Halloween!

1 comment

  1. I LOVE the idea of using the candy corn and pumpkins to practice patterning! I am going to have to use that idea with my kids! And how cute is that pig?!? That is awesome that you guys were able to raise so much money! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete