Behind the Blog: Meet the Blogger!


Hello everyone!  It's been a LONG time since I introduced myself and I have had a lot of new followers over the past couple of months.  I figured summer break plus a new blog name is the PERFECT time to re-introduce myself and give you a little information about me!  My name is Racheal and I am currently heading into my sixth year of Kindergarten in the small town of Jackson, Missouri.  I have been blessed over my 11 years of teaching to have worked with some very inspiring educators.

HOW I BECAME A TEACHER
Growing up I LOVED school.  I loved all things involving reading, writing, planning, organization, etc.  I had wonderful experiences throughout my school career that molded me into a lifelong learner and I knew when I graduated high school I wanted to create those experiences for others.  I attended Missouri State University and immediately started the degree I *thought* I was destined for - Secondary English Education.  My heart was in literature and I had grand dreams of sharing riveting novels with students, exploring poetry, and inspiring young writers.  I quickly realized my heart was NOT in Secondary English Education.  I wasn't up for a life of proofreading papers and teaching students about grammatical errors.  (If this is you - then GOD BLESS YOU.) 
 
After deciding English Education wasn't my path, I had to decide what was.  I changed my major to FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences Education) - the technical term for Home Economics.  I quite honestly didn't know what else to pick.  Nothing else in Secondary Education sounded interesting to me and Home Ec seemed nurturing in a way - teaching students life skills like how to cook, budgeting skills, child development and parenting skills - it seemed like something I would be alright at - so I went for it.
Within the first year of this new degree, I took a child development course that included time spent in a small preschool classroom on campus.  BAM.  It was like a light bulb went off in my brain and God was saying "This!  This is it!  This is where I want you to be!" with all of the flashing arrows pointing right in that direction.  I fell in LOVE with Early Childhood and changed my major for the final time.  I finished my degree in Child Development and went on to receive my Master's Degree in Early Child and Family Development with certification in Early Childhood and Elementary Education.  
While working on my degree I worked at a hospital daycare - helping run the preschool program on the weekends (for doctors and nurses on call).  Then after I wrapped up my undergrad that fall semester, I immediately took on a full time preschool assistant job at the Child Development Center on campus.  After one semester, I took on the position of lead teacher and not only found myself in charge of 20 preschoolers, but also a teaching assistant and a number of practicum students that filtered in and out of my classroom each semester.  To say I enjoyed my time there would be an understatement.  This position and the co-workers I collaborated with have had a major impact on how I view my role as a teacher and how I provide experiences for my students.  I value this experience so much and am so grateful for this start to my career.  

After working for the university for a year and a half, I took some time off to finish up my Master's degree and complete student teaching.  During this time I was a nanny for two of the sweetest boys - such a change from the fast paced craziness of a preschool classroom!  When I finally finished my Master's degree and graduated with my certification I decided it was time for a district position.  I applied for several positions in districts around my hometown and was blessed with a Title One preschool position in the district I'm currently still in, less than 30 minutes from where I grew up.  
I spent three years teaching Title One three-year-olds in the morning and co-teaching an inclusive 12/6 typical/sped classroom in the afternoon.  
When a kindergarten position opened up in another building, I had an administrator strongly recommend I apply and I was able to interview with a colleague that I highly respected and admired.  I accepted the position and, with his support, made the transition to Kindergarten after teaching preschool for roughly five years.  I've now been in Kindergarten for six years and could not be happier.  I've been able to work with so many wonderful educators who have challenged me both personally and professionally to grow.


I have also become more driven in recent years to growing myself as a professional outside of the classroom.  I have attended and presented at multiple conferences, taught clock hours for childcare providers and collaborated with others on classroom design and activities - sharing my passions for creating authentic experiences, language rich environments, and DAP opportunities.


This upcoming school year I'm looking forward to working with a smaller group of ladies that all share the same passion and love for education as I do.  I will continue to be an advocate for young children - striving to build relationships first, creating a learning environment that meets each child's unique needs and interests, and supporting my students to grow into successful learners and leaders.  

No comments

Post a Comment