When I Finally Do What Teachers Do in SUMMER!!!!I

It's SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Wednesday was the last day of summer school and today was a reading conference where I gained a TON of great insight into independent reading (more to come on that later).  But I'm home now and that means SUMMER!!!!!!!!!! 





Can you tell I'm excited?!  Anyhoo, I so loved being a party of KidPeople Classroom's Funny Kid Friday link up last week, that I wanted to kick off my summer with another round!  



This week it is a sweet (and somewhat sad) story about my own little lady Madilynn!  Madi is 4 and is the most spunky, spirited, courageous, and inquisitive little girl.  She started her first year of preschool this year and has taken off with learning.  At 4, she knew all of her letters and sounds and was asking me to start reading!  Not saying this to brag...last summer before she started school she had zero interest in learning letters. Just amazed at the change! Eeeek!  So we've been working a few sight words here and there as her interest holds and she is LOVING that can now read some books!  I even made this cute Frozen book for her when we were working on the word 'see'!  



Well, with this love of learning, she has been asking about going to Kindergarten (she still has another year).  At first, I kind of blew it off - we had just begun sight word work and I thought she was just excited about reading and she knows that happens in Kindergarten, right?  Well, she continued talking it.  "I really want to go to Kindergarten, Mommy."  "I know.  And you will in just one year, when you are five."  The questions, kept coming.  "Why can't I go?  I really want to go!"  EVERY.  DAY.  I kept trying to figure out why?  What she THAT interested in learning?  WOW!  Was it because she was bored at preschool?  Was it because a lot of her friends were going to Kindergarten?  I couldn't pin it down.  A few days later, we went for a Mommy and Madi date to get ice cream.  She brought it up again on the way there.  

"Mommy, I can't wait until I'm in Kindergarten."  
"I know sweetie.  One more year and then you get to be a Kindergartener too!"
"Yep!  Then I will get to help you pass out snack and be your helper and...."
I don't remember anything else she said because it hit me - hard.  Madi wanted to be in Kindergarten because that is where I am.  I said, "Madi, you know you won't be in my class right?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, there are lots of Kindergarten teachers at my building.  You will be in one of their rooms.  I will get to see you every day and give you hugs everyday but I won't be your teacher."
The look on her face y'all.  BREAK.  MY.  HEART.  She burst into tears.  "But I want you to be my mommy and my teacher!!!!"

Let's just say I am so glad we have a year to prep for this one!  Madi (and Mommy) are going to have a rough time I think....YIKES!

In the meantime, we are continuing to play and learn at home.  This week Madi practiced her sight words, letters, numerals and counting using my new Back to School pack.  Here's a few pics of our fun!








To celebrate my official start to summer, my store is 20% off until Saturday night!  Maybe you can find what you are looking for to start your year off right! ;) Enjoy!

XOXO,

Racheal

5 comments

  1. Oh, Racheal, it is a sweet story. It IS a good thing you have a year yet... time for her to do a little bonding with the other K teachers in your building. My two daughters were in my school, too. Never my class, just my school. It worked out really well for us– you'll love it and so will she :)
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm looking forward to being with her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Racheal! What a sweetie! Of course she wants you for a teacher! :) Your blog is great! I am your newest follower! HAPPY SUMMER! Enjoy every second!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! It is so great to have you!!! Happy summer to you too! :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Racheal! Glad I found you. I am just beginning my 2nd year in Kindergarten in September, but before that I taught 2,3, 5 and 6, so kindergarten was a bit of an adjustment. I love your blog and your daughters are sweet! I am now following you on here and on TPT!
    Jackie
    Growing Kidlets

    ReplyDelete