Are you actually DEVELOPING with professional development?


All I can say is...WHAT BEAUTIFUL TIMING GOD HAS.

I recently attended one of my favorite conferences, the annual Conference on the Young Years, at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri.  I have attended this conference multiple times both as a registrant and presenter, college student and teacher professional, and I always walk away feeling refreshed and revitalized to go back into my classroom and put what I've learned into practice.  However, the handouts, notes, folders, and materials I bring back each year, often end up on my desk, buried under the inevitable stack of assessments, lesson plans, report cards, etc. that pile up.  Now, don't get me wrong, I have every intention of implementing the new strategy I learned about or try out the new activity, I really do!  Don't we all?  But somehow life and other priorities get in the way.  Sigh.
This year, however, the conference coincided perfectly with a small comment from a student and a conversation with my district on professional development - both of which, have got me thinking... 
You see, the day before I left for the conference was one of those insane, "Will I make it through today without screaming, crying or at least drinking some wine?" kind of days... not only did I have a semi sick kiddo at home, packing to do and sub plans to make, I had three meetings on my schedule - 1. my weekly grade level collaboration over my planning time, 2. our building's PLC (Professional Learning Community) team meeting at the end of the day, and 3. our district's PDC (Professional Development Committee) meeting after school.  Three meetings.  One day. Oy.  


While I understand the value of professional development and actively seek out opportunities of interest, there is always a pang of guilt when time is taken away from my classroom and my students - time I could be teaching valuable lessons or information.Well, as you can imagine, three meetings in one day for a teacher meant that at some point I would have to leave my students with another teacher for a short period of time.  Since I am on two different committees this year, this happens frequently and my students are aware of the reason for my absence and the procedures for carrying on without me in a team teacher's classroom.  Early on in the school year, I explained the reason for so many meetings to my students - put simply in five year old terms - teachers have meetings throughout the year to help us learn how to be better teachers and take care of our students.   On this particular day, as we were nearing the end of the day, I reminded my students of my meeting and that they would be spending time in the classroom next door.  Suddenly, a student exasperatedly shouted out, "But you already know how to teach!  Why do you have to go?"

At first, I felt proud.  "My students think I'm an excellent teacher and don't want me to go!  Awwww!  So sweet!"  However, my next thought was...."Wait, why do I have to go?  Are these meetings really benefiting my teaching and my students?"  Hmmmmm.... Later that day, I went on to my third and final meeting where our district PD team began discussion on professional development opportunities for our staff and what we wanted that to look like.  You see, I am fortunate to work in a school district that not only recognizes the changes happening in education, but strives to support teachers so they are able to grow with those changes.   During our discussion, we looked at several blog posts by George Cuoros.  One the articles, "The Students are Paying Attention", resonated with me.  
In the article, Cuoros makes the point, "After professional learning days, educators should share what they learned, and what they are going to do moving forward with their students."  Teachers are often begging for professional development opportunities, but after receiving them, the follow through does not always happen.  So where is the disconnect?  Is there just not enough time to implement?  Is there not enough time to reflect and process?  Was the professional development topic not something the teacher was passionate about learning more information on?  Whatever the disconnect, teachers should hold themselves accountable to their students and be a model of a lifelong learner.  


This comment and this article combined have caused some inward reflection on the role professional development plays in my career.  What am I getting from professional development opportunities?  Are they ACTUALLY changing the way I approach my classroom each morning?  Or is just a wasted day?  From this reflection I have realized a few things...

1.  I believe professional development is necessary for teacher growth and in turn student growth.
2.  I believe not all professional development is created equal.
3.  I believe teachers should have a choice in their professional development opportunities - we differentiate student learning, why not teacher learning?  
4.  I believe teachers should be held accountable for their learning and growth - not to administration - but to themselves and their students.  
5.  I believe teachers should be active seekers of professional development opportunities that interest them and their personal and professional goals. 

After spending two days at the Conference on the Young Years, I knew I wanted to demonstrate lifelong learning to my students and show them something new I gained - incorporate something new into our classroom.  I challenged myself to find at least three pieces I could bring back to my classroom and IMMEDIATELY implement.  Even with the sessions that proved more difficult to incorporate, I was able to find something to reflect on and bring back.  

During the conference, there was a discussion of helping students be ACTIVE and INVOLVED learners.  Are we speaking WITH children, helping them expand their knowledge through genuine conversation and reflection?  My mind instantly went to the multiple assessments I had given to my students in the weeks prior to end third quarter - was I really spending time with students and discussing the results with my students?  Giving feedback?  As a professional presenter and learner - I crave feedback.  How can I improve?  What worked and what didn't?  Why am I not giving my students the same opportunity?  I decided I would create an "Assessment Self-Reflection" form to use with my students immediately after giving them an assessment.  This would be a way to open up conversation with my students on their learning in my classroom.  Did they really feel confident and prepared while being assessed?  As a teacher, I hope the answer is always yes, but what if the answer is no???  I can easily print this off and attach it to the front of the assessment for parents to have a better idea of what was assessed, their child's self-reflection, and any feedback from the teacher.  Get your copy by clicking the picture below!


The next session I attended was on technology use in the classroom.  While I am slowly venturing into the technology realm, I am nowhere near comfortable to teach others about it.  All I can say is I LOVE ADOBE SPARK!  I learned enough about it's capabilities through demonstrations and experimenting that I was able to create this fun little video of my students' writing!  I have many plans for this app in my classroom including social stories for a student of mine and individual student writing reports!  My kiddos were excited to be involved and see the end result as well!  I encourage you to try it out!




Finally, I perhaps spent the most time reflecting on my own session.  I presented on using hands on learning activities to teach ELA and math concepts.  While doing the prep work for the presentation and then reflecting afterward, my thought was, "Yes.  This is great, but what ELSE can I do?"  Maybe it's the perfectionist in me, but I find myself looking on how to expand.  I decided I wanted to encourage and support more hands on learning opportunities for my students and their parents at HOME.  How can I make learning more fun for THEM?  Yes, I send home a homework packet.  It's simple and quick but it's not.....FUN.  And not reflective of my classroom or how I believe students learn best.  This week we had Kindergarten Parent Learning Day.  It was a block of time in the afternoon where parents could come into the classroom and participate in learning activities with their child.  This was the perfect opportunity to show parents a simple hands on activity and discuss why those kinds of activities are important for their child's education.  



I used my Editable Card Games pack and typed up subtraction problems within 10.  I then provided the following mat to each student.  In groups, students took turns pulling a card from a bag (cute little bunny bags from Target Dollar Spot of course!).  The student would read the subtraction problem and use jelly beans to solve the problem on their mat.  



Parents enjoyed seeing the hands on approach and had fun participating in the activity with their child!  To grab this freebie - just click on the pictures below.  I added a jellybean card page for you to put your own equations on!  :)



Additional;y, I've decided I want to take control over as much of my PD as I can.  This summer, two fellow bloggers Deedee Wills and Reagan Tunstall, are offering a professional development opportunity in my home state.  I know this will be a beneficial PD day and something I will benefit from.  This is a great opportunity for me to grow as an educator and I am actually SUPER PUMPED about it!  To check out the conference information click on the link below!  



Whatever the professional development opportunities look like in your district, or building, or center, I invite you to self evaluate.  Do you have input in decisions regarding what PD is offered?  If so, are giving your input?  If not, talk to your principal, the superintendent, your director...open the dialogue.  When you do participate in professional development opportunities, are you an active learner yourself?  Are you actively seeking information and content you can take back to your classroom?  Are you taking time for processing and reflection?  Are you given that time from administration?  If not, ask for it.


Professional development opportunities are meant to help us grow as educators.  When approached with the right attitude and supported correctly by administration, teachers can BLOOM and students will benefit. 

Today is a district PD day for us and I am going in with an open mind, positive attitude and inquisitive spirit...can't wait to see what the day holds!  


1 comment

  1. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for.
    kids songs

    ReplyDelete